Thursday, July 3, 2008

20 hours on the road.

Yesterday, July 1st my dad and I traveled with the kids to Indianapolis, IN for our first leg of our trip to the Telleen family reunion. It normally takes me 8 hours to drive to Indiana to see my friends and family but I guess because of the kids and the dad’s van being completely loaded down with Allie’s home décor from her single days, it took us 10 hours. The kids were falling apart by the time we got there. Asa was so ready to be out of his seat.

As soon as we got there Allie, the kids and myself went over to my very dear friend Jenni’s house to get my hair done. I have not had anything done to it since October of last year!! It was well overdo! My friend Kirsten was there getting her hair done as well as my friend Megan and her new baby Hallie. It was fun to see my old friends…it seems just like old times when I come to my old home and it is just like I never left. I am so blessed to have such amazing relationships. My oldest friendships to date… Kirsten’s little girl Aria was there who is 4 months older than Quinn and Quinn was so excited to see her. Aria knows she is four months OLDER and was holding Quinn’s hand directing her where to go and telling her what to say. I have never in my life seen Quinn so quiet and passive. J At one point the girls were standing in front of me while I was getting my hair done and Aria was being a little pushy to Quinn (only in the sweetest way!) and I said, “Aria, why don’t you give Quinn a little space? I think she is overwhelmed.” And Aria put her little arm around Quinn’s neck and exclaimed, “We are best friends!!”



This morning we got up at 7AM to leave for our 10-hour drive to Iowa from Indiana. We are on the road right now and it has not been too bad today. Asa is crying as I speak but he is just tired and will quiet down soon. Quinn and Aunt Allie are sitting in the way back singing kids songs. So cute. Quinn has been entertaining Allie with her “conversations”. She talks like an adult sometimes…I don’t know where she gets that from. I will have to get something on recording when I find my camera. I cannot find my little point-and-shoot, I guess its my bad karma from selling those shoes who I could not find the owner to at the yard sale for .50 cents.



We have about 3 and a half hours left on our drive today and then we will be in Ft.Dodge, IA where my dad was born and then will be commuting back and forth between there and Gowrie, IA where my family originated. I love learning all of the family history and stories about the places we are going. I have not been to Gowrie since 1992 when my Grandpa Telleen died. We get to go to his grave this trip. Not to sound morbid but I can’t wait-I feel like he “lives” so far away. Who knows when I will be back here again. I have a feeling not for a very long time so I am going to take in every detail.



We are passing through Cedar Rapids, IA where all of the flooding just took place that was all over CNN.

No comments:

Add yourself to this list if you like reading...

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Asheville, NC, United States
Family is our number one priority