Saturday, August 23, 2008

whirlwind.

Wow!  It has been a whirlwind!  This week has gone by so fast.  And, as usual, I have lots of pictures to post still and not enough time.  I will sum up what has been going briefly though.   We had a very fun visit with my parents this past week.  Mom and dad came up last Monday night.  We spent time looking at houses and land.  It was fun just spending time together.  We also did a lot of "home improvement" stuff around the house in the evenings and mornings.  Mom and dad are always so helpful when they are here!  This time mom painted Asa and Quinn's room (to cover up Dru's "mess") and she painted all of the base boards and trim in that room.  We did a new picture collage for over the couch in the living room inspired by the Domino magazine.  Dad put together Quinn's new trundle bed and worked on my car.  We also watched the Olympics.  :)  There was so much more but I cannot remember at this hour. 

So, the day mom and dad left...well more like a few hours after they left I got a call from our social worker saying we had an opportunity for a placement.  I got all nervous and anxious when I heard those words.  We asked for children under Quinn's age but she presented us the opportunity to foster a 14 year old girl and her 9 month old brother.  Oddly enough I had a peace about.  Dru did too so we said "yes".  I still feel like it was the right thing to do and I feel like this is the first placement we were meant to have.  Everything has worked out perfect.  Not that the situation is perfect but I can just tell God has his hand on this.  I am seeing more and more how this IS our MISSION FIELD, right here at home!  We get show these kids the love of Christ maybe for the first time in their lives. This experience has also made me realize (even though I read it in our training) that most of the children who end up in the care of social services have parents who really love them but have just made bad choices.  I got to go to DSS at 9:30PM last night and pick these beautiful children up and I was fortunate enough to meet their mom.  She did not like me at first, I could tell. I think she felt like I was the one taking her kids away.  I went to shake her hand and she started to cry and said, "I can't do this!" and then all of the feelings she felt almost transferred to me.  Not that I couldn't care for her children but I felt so sorry for her.  How hard must it be to give instructions to some stranger who will be taking care of your babies. Then, I started to cry.  You could see the look on her face slowly soften.  I felt in that moment the spiritual gift of mercy that I talked about in a later post really at work.  That was the Holy Spirit working in me.  Wow!
It is now past midnight and 24 hours since placement.  I feel so overwhelmed, blessed and tired.  Quinn and Asa are adjusting to new people in their territory.  The thing is, I don't want my kids to have territory. I want them to feel safe and at home-but I want them to also have a desire to open their hearts and home up to others.  (And toys!  Quinn is having a hard time sharing!)  So as I write this I think, man, I could have edited a whole 3 photos-seeing as I am behind on about 5 photo sessions now!  And, I'm also thinking that maybe I'm not supermom.  Dang it!! I hate it when I let myself down!!  :)  Oh, I'm also thinking about the two babies I will be alternately getting up with in the middle of the night tonight.  
GOODNIGHT!

1 comment:

Megan said...

whatever. you totally are super mom.

asher, you're incredible.

Add yourself to this list if you like reading...

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Asheville, NC, United States
Family is our number one priority